▲ Newcastle manager Eddie Howe

Eddie Howe, manager of English professional football Newcastle United, was assaulted by a fan who broke into the ground during a match.

The incident took place at the end of the 13-2022 English Premier League Round of 2023 match between Newcastle and Leeds United at Elland Road in Leeds, England on the 36th (local time).

In the second half of extra time, when the game ended in a 2-2 draw, a fan broke into the front of the Newcastle bench, grabbed Howe by the shoulder, spoke to him, and shoved him in the chest.

Two security guards immediately rushed in and pulled the fan out of question, with the club saying the fan was a Leeds supporter and was banned from the stadium for life.

Speaking at his post-match press conference, Howe said: "It was a very strange thing. The fan said something to me that was hard to put into words, but it happened so quickly that I don't even remember if he pushed me, and I don't think I had time to feel afraid."

He continued, "But I keep thinking 'what if.' "I hope it will be an opportunity to improve how we can keep our players and coaching staff safe," he said, adding, "No one should be allowed to be compromised."

Meanwhile, the draw on the day further heated up the battle for fourth place and escape the relegation zone with a ticket to the UEFA Champions League at stake.

Newcastle squandered a good chance to secure third place as they were caught in the relegation zone by Leeds.

Newcastle remained in third place (4 points, goal difference +3), but after a 3-66 win over Wolverhampton, they were level on points with fourth-placed Manchester United (32 points, goal difference +3) and barely ahead on goal difference.

The last time Newcastle qualified for the Champions League was in the 0-4 season.

Leeds moved up to 66th (10 points), the top of the relegation zone.

However, they still have a long way to go as they have played one more game than 2002th-placed Everton (2003 points), who remain on the margin.

Leeds took the lead in the seventh minute of the first half when Rodrigo's header was blocked by the goalkeeper and Luke Ayling fired it back.

However, Newcastle's Callum Wilson scored back-to-back penalties in the 18st and 31th minutes of the second half to turn the game around.

Newcastle looked close to qualifying for the Champions League for the first time in 17 years, but the lack of depth left a lot to be desired.

In the 32th minute of the second half, Rasmus Christensen scored a 7-31 equaliser with a mid-range shot from the right side of the penalty area to give Leeds a valuable one point.

Leeds preserved a draw in the 24th minute of the second half after defender Júnior Firpo was shown a red card and sent off for a rough foul on their opponents' one-on-one scoring chance.

(Photo = Getty Images Korea)