<Anchor>



Recently, a fire broke out in an apartment in Busan and a woman in her 70s was seriously injured.

As a result of the investigation, it was confirmed that the fire started in the kimchi refrigerator.

This product has already caught fire several times before and has been subject to recall, but it is said that there are still about 10,000 units in stock, so be sure to check with the manufacturer.



This is KNN reporter Choi Hyuk-gyu.



<Reporter>



The entire house was burned beyond recognition.



A woman in her 70s suffered burns and was hospitalized in the intensive care unit in a fire that broke out in an apartment in Hakjan-dong, Busan, on the 30th of last month.



[Moon Kang-yeon/Victim's family: (The father) turned on the TV and smelled a strange smell. He opened the door to the small room where the smell was coming from and found flames flying from the back of the kimchi refrigerator.] As



a result of the firefighting analysis, a small It was confirmed that the fire occurred in the room's kimchi refrigerator.



Zoom in on the image


This is a small room where the fire started.



All household items, including the kimchi refrigerator, were burned.



The product that caught fire was Winia's Dimchae Kimchi Refrigerator, which has been subject to recall due to continuous fire outbreaks.



In 2020, the National Institute of Standards and Technology requested a voluntary recall of lid-type Dimchae kimchi refrigerators produced before September 2005.



[Hae-Beom Park/Director of Product Safety Information Division, National Agency for Technology and Standards: (Dimchae, the problem) Due to long-term use of the kimchi refrigerator, relay parts become worn and dust accumulates, which can lead to fire due to electrical sparks....]



The problem is in the case of the elderly. There are many cases where fire damage occurs when the product is used without knowing that it is subject to a recall.



This fire was also in a house where an elderly couple lived, and last month, a fire broke out in Chuncheon for the same reason, killing an elderly man in his 90s.



The number of products subject to recall plummeted by 20%, from 47,000 units at the end of 2022 to 10,000 units in two years.



However, fires still occur.



The Standards Institute urged consumers of the product in question to check the product information on the back of the refrigerator and contact the manufacturer to request a recall.



(Video coverage: Kwon Yong-guk, KNN)



KNN Choi Hyuk-gyu