His exclusivity with Truth Social is over. Donald Trump posted Friday on Facebook and YouTube for the first time since his exclusion two years ago following the assault on the Capitol.
"I'M BACK!" wrote the former Republican president, who is seeking a second term in 2024. He accompanied these words with a short CNN video, in which he is flanked by Vice President Mike Pence and his son Barron, and which appears to date from the night of his election in 2016. "Sorry to keep you waiting, it was complicated," he said.
His message was greeted with hundreds of comments, including several "Glad to see you again" and "What a relief that you are back, Mr. President."
Earlier on Friday, online video platform YouTube announced it was ending its suspension. "As of today, the Donald J. Trump channel is no longer subject to restrictions," the US giant said on Twitter.
Suspension lifted everywhere
The Republican was expelled from the social network in January 2021, while he was still in power, for encouraging his supporters during the attack on Congress in Washington.
This unprecedented decision was emulated at the time by most mainstream social networks, including Twitter, Facebook and Instagram.
To justify its decision, YouTube said Friday that it had assessed "the risk of violence", while taking into account the importance, for voters, to hear "equally the major national candidates".
Donald Trump had already been readmitted on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram in recent months. Until now, he communicated mainly via his own platform, Truth Social.
- By the Web
- Donald Trump