A forest fire that broke out yesterday (3rd) in Suncheon, South Jeolla was extinguished in 21 hours. A forest the size of 70 football fields was burned. In dry weather, wildfires continued today, and many of the fires spread due to garbage burning.

Koo Hee Jung is a reporter.


Ashen smoke blankets the sky and raging flames spread down the ridge.

The fire extinguishing helicopter sprays water incessantly, but the flames are seldom contained.

[Ji Seong-soon/Suncheon, Jeonnam: The fire is red down here, and there is a huge amount of smoke coming up from the summit.]

The forest fire that broke out yesterday in Suncheon, South Jeolla was completely extinguished around noon today, 21 hours later.

There were no casualties, but a forest covering the size of 70 football fields and two green houses were burned.

Today, forest fires broke out one after another in Chungcheong, Honam and Daegu, and in Buyeo, South Chungcheong, Yasan was reduced to ashes.

The Forest Service believes the fire started when embers from burning garbage flew into a nearby mountain.

In Jecheon, North Chungcheong, a local resident burned garbage and carried it to the mountain, and the Forest Service caught the resident as the perpetrator of the fire.

Fire authorities estimated that the forest fire in Hwasun, South Jeolla Province, was also caused by the incineration of garbage.

As the atmosphere dries up, tiny embers are spreading into wildfires.

Dry advisories and warnings have been issued for most parts of the country, and the dry weather for the Seoul metropolitan area and Gangwon Province has already been in place for the 2th day.

The Japan Meteorological Agency predicts that the days will become increasingly dry as sunny weather continues for the time being, and rain is expected in the Seoul metropolitan area and Gangwon Yeongseo around Thursday, but it will be difficult to relieve the dryness across the country.

(Video Interview: Chung Jung-seok KBC, Video Editing: Cho Moo-hwan, Screen Credit: Forest Service)