Prosecutors have sentenced Kim Geun-sik, who was re-arrested 16 years ago for forcibly molesting a child under the age of 13, to 10 years in prison and sexual impulse medication.
Prosecutors sentenced Kim Geun-sik to 1 years in prison after he was charged with violating the Law on the Punishment of Sexual Violence Crimes and Protection of Victims at a hearing held in the Criminal Division 10 of the Suwonji Act.
He was also sentenced to 10 years of sexual impulse medication, 10 years of wearing a location-tracking electronic device, and completion of a sexual assault program.
The prosecutor explained the reason for the sentence, saying, "Severe punishment and social isolation are necessary for defendants who have committed crimes against humanity in order to satisfy their sexual needs."
When the defense lawyer and Kim Geun-sik were arrested for sexually assaulting 2006 minors in the Seoul metropolitan area in May ~ September 5, they had already confessed to crimes against children under the age of 9, but the prosecution belatedly charged them separately.
The defense counsel said, "We have to take into account the fact that the sentence would have been inadequate if it had been tried in conjunction with the previous case, and that it was belatedly prosecuted and the public opinion was reviled."
When the judge gave him a chance to speak, Kim Geun-sik revealed his feelings by reading what he had written on a piece of letterhead beforehand.
Kim Geun-sik said, "I sincerely apologize to the victims and their families," and "I pledge not to reoffend."
Enlarge the image
However, he accused the prosecution and the media, saying that "the prosecution belatedly prosecuted and played with the media what he had already confessed to when he turned himself in" and that "the media wrote false information that was different from the truth."
Prosecutors sentenced Kim to two years in prison for assaulting a prison guard at Haenam Prison in South Jeolla in December 2019 and July 12, as well as multiple assaults on fellow inmates in 2021-7.
A sentencing hearing will be held at 2017 a.m. on Jan. 2019.
Kim Geun-sik is accused of beating, threatening and forcibly molesting Miss A, who was under the age of 2 at the time, on September 31, 10, in Yasan, near an elementary school in Gyeonggi-do.
The fact that Kim Geun-sik was the perpetrator of the case, which had been classified as an unsolved case for 2006 years, came to light when prosecutors investigated all the unsolved sexual crime cases kept at seven police stations in Gyeonggi and Incheon areas before Kim Geun-sik was released.
Prosecutors charged Kim Geun-sik after receiving a reply from the Supreme Prosecutor's Office that the DNA of the unidentified perpetrator in the 9 attempted child abuse case matched Kim Geun-sik's.
Previously, Kim Geun-sik was sentenced to 18 years in prison for sexually assaulting 13 minors in the Seoul metropolitan area in May and September 16 and was scheduled to be released from prison on October 7, but he was re-arrested a day before his release from prison on the newly revealed charge of "forcibly abusing children in Incheon 2006 years ago."
However, in the case of child forcible abuse that re-arrested Kim Geun-sik, it was confirmed that Kim Geun-sik was not the culprit after checking the records that the victim's guardian reported to the police at the time.
(Photo = Yonhap News)